Tuesday, June 18, 2013

INTERNET HELP FROM HSIAO-CHING

While I was in Antarctica, internet was limited to 10MB a day. That goes QUICKLY. If you log on to Facebook you have to use the mobile site and within 5 minutes of scrolling through the newsfeed your time runs out. Some days it was very frustrating to be connected so unplugging from the grid was a relief.

I originally intended to keep this blog going during my time out in the field. How silly THAT idea was. Antarctica is anther planet and its a miracle there's any form of communication out there! 

When I could I would write word documents and convert them to PDFs then email them out to friends and family with my ship-board email account. I would also shrink images to teeeeeny tiny and post them on facebook. Sometimes just getting 10 small images would take up to 40minutes.

Hsiao-Ching with the Institute of Systems Biology would collect these infrequent posts and put them together in one place for our Institute's website Molecular Me.

Please see February through April posts to see more stunning images of Antarctica! http://isbmolecularme.com/category/lab-notebook/


Algae
Light
Cruise Tracks and Cornhole





1 comment: