Wednesday, February 6, 2013

Path of Travel

The total travel path I will take from January 19th until April 15th is a long one!

While in Christchurch, I went to the exhibit Scott’s Last Expedition at the Canterbury Museum. Captain Scott led the 1910 British Expedition to the South Pole but died, along with 4 other men, on the return route. I was inspired to do a time-line comparison (throughout this blog, just for fun) between our modern 2013 cruise to Antarctica and Scott’s 1910 expedition to Antarctica. I hope you enjoy seeing the differences/similarities as much as I do.


In 2013 I will spend a mix of travel time on aircrafts and research vessel icebreakers with about 50 other people. I will travel from Seattle (Washington) to Los Angeles (California) to Sydney (Australia) to Christchurch (New Zealand) to McMurdo Station (Antarctica) to the Ross Sea (Antarctica) to Punta Arenas (Chile) to Santiago (Chile) to Dallas (Texas) and back home to Seattle. PHEW!

US Air Force C-130 named Hercules will take us from Christchurch, New Zealand to McMurdo Station, Antarctica
The research vessel icebreaker (RVIB) Nathaniel B. Palmer

Back in 1910 during Robert Scott’s Terra Nova expedition it took the men 7 months to reach McMurdo, Antarctica and they did it all on a wooden sail ship! In comparison it feels silly to complain about the 28 hours of flying time and cramped airline seats just to arrive to McMurdo. At least I got free bottles of wine and a vast selection of in-flight movies to entertain me.
The British whaler and polar expedition ship Terra Nova

No comments:

Post a Comment